I can't help but think what would have happened to Cameron had we gone through this experience with his eye 100 years ago. He was shot in the eye with a BB gun 3 months ago, and the remarkable change that has taken place is absolutely stunning!
The last time I updated on Cameron's eye, the news wasn't great, nor was the prognosis. Basically, he had developed cataracts, had pretty much NO vision, was light sensitive...the list goes on. When we went to see the surgeon at the Moran Eye Center, Dr. Crandall was actually very optomistic. I've been told that Dr. Crandall is the BEST in the nation at eye repair, and so we put our son in his very capable hands.
December 23rd, we had to be at the U of U for surgery at 6am, so Cameron, Taylor and I stayed the night at mom and dad's. We were in the middle of a HUGE snow storm, 2 days before Christmas, and I was worried we wouldn't get to the hospital on time if we came all the way from Eagle Mountain. Anyway, we got there and he was obviously afraid. He tried so hard to be brave, but I could see the tears brimming in his eyes. I kept holding his hand right up until they took him to surgery and then held back my own tears as they wheeled him away. All I could do was pray over and over to help Cameron not be afraid and for the Dr to be able to fix his eye as he had hoped.
Taylor came to keep me company while I waited for the 2 hour surgery, and it was a nice thing she came. We rode the elevator, got a donut at the cafeteria, drank hot chocolate, watched it snow, listened
to my ipod, and took a short nap.
The nurse came to get us when Cameron was in recovery, and I didn't know exactly what to expect. I didn't know if his eye was gonna look bad or better or what. His eye, after a 2 hour surgery, looked AWESOME! The cataract had made his eye all cloudy...and it was gone! The tear in the iris/pupil in the corner of his eye...was gone! He has a near perfect looking eye!! His pupil will never dialate correctly again, so it always is open, however, it looks so good! I can see the green of his eye again, and it looks SO GOOD!!
I can't get over how amazing modern medicine is! Cameron's vision has gone from 20/400+ to 20/25 overnight! It is an absolute miracle to me, and I'm SO grateful!
From this point on, Cameron has to keep having exams at the Moran Eye Center to observe the healing process (for about a year) and watch for glaucoma. Apparantly, after a serious eye injury, glaucoma is very, VERY common. We'll have to be very careful about that. The Dr. also says that as of now, Cameron doesn't need any corrective eyewear, so no glasses YET! Dr. Crandal says it will happen eventually.
I thank everyone for your thoughts, your prayers and your kind words since this whole ordeal started. It's great to have such caring friends and family! Remember this lesson: No Red Rider BB Guns cuz "you'll shoot yer eye out!"
4 comments:
Yay! That is so good to hear! I know you were nervous about the whole surgery! I am so happy for you! Yay for good news!
Oh my friend, what a wonderful blessing! I agree, thank heavens for wonderful Doctors! I am so happy that all went well and that he is O.K.! It's another Christmas miracle, hooray!
I've been thinking about Cameron I'm so glad that his eye is doing well I guess the Christmas Story really tells the truth about the bbgun!
That is such good news!!! What a relief. And I agree, thank heaven for modern medicine - but I'm a little biased. :)
Post a Comment