Things are tough right now in our neck of the woods. I don't think our situation is all that unusual, considering the financial state of our country, however, Granty recieving a pay cut of $30,000 a year has put a MAJOR dent in our pocketbook. I've always, ALWAYS looked forward to the holidays. The smells in the air; the delicious treats; the lights; the stories...basically everything about this time of year, I LOVE. It's a magical time of year.
This year...the magic has fizzled out. Not being able to provide Christmas for my kids has weighed on me and I just haven't been able to be positive about anything. We've been paying our tithing, paying our fast offerings, fulfilling our callings for months and months now, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. I'm ashamed to admit it, but my faith has waivered a bit and I've been wondering, where did my Heavenly Father go? Why doesn't he help us?
I was talking to my mom last night and told her, "I keep waiting for that envelope of money that everyone talks about. The one that you get as a surprise because you've been paying your tithes and offerings, but nothing has come yet." I was being facetious of course, but half honest.
Today I checked the mail. An envelope addressed to the Sutton Family arrived and inside it was some money, with a note that said, "Have Yourselves a Very Merry Christmas". No signature was attached, leaving me wondering, who loved our family THAT much. I've been left humbled and speechless. I told my oldest son, "I need to know who did this so I can thank them." he replied saying, "Why? They didn't want you to know. Just let it be our Christmas Miracle."
Whoever you are, thank you. Thank you for giving me the means to provide Christmas for my kids, for helping to restore my faith, and for being so charitable and Christ-like. I may never know who you are, but my family and I will never forget the magic you have brought back to our Christmas. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
SIDE NOTE: Umm...just few hours after I posted this, our refrigerator went out. We've been scrambling to get food into coolers and into our freezer downstairs. I should be grateful Granty has a job, we have a house, we have clothes, we have food, but DAMNIT, I wanted that money for Christmas! Oh well, Merry Christmas Sutton Family...it's a fridge!! *sob*
SIDE SIDE NOTE: After having the repair guy come look at said fridge, it turns out everything is still under warranty which means...YAY! Christmas is back on! Hee hee hee! All in all, I am grateful for my parents, my good cousin Dawn, and all my extended family who have kept us in their prayers. No matter how this Christmas ends up, it will always be one I will remember. It's been an awesome Christmas Miracle!!
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow! That's incredible! What a Christmas miracle! You are blessed!
That's Awesome Kerri!! I know how you feel...I am in the same boat! You aren't the only one who feels that way! Love ya!
I know how you feel too Kerri - three Christmas' ago, we had a 12 year old son, a 9 year old daughter, a 6 year old daughter, and a 6 week old baby and were being evicted from our house (on Christmas Eve!).
We had no home, no job, and were headed to Utah - just because this is where family was - we were going to live in my sis-in-law's unfinished basement!!
But, it was one of the greatest blessings for our family. We came to realize that it's not the things that matter -it's the people. We had each other - no matter where we landed - if we were together, we'd be just fine. And just so you know, Heavenly Father has immensely blessed our lives. Mart now has a good job, we have a home again (miraculous - I'm serious!) and we're doing okay - but most of all, we learned a VALUABLE lesson along the way about what really matters.
It's not a bad lesson for your kids to learn. I promise. Hang in there girl.
I'm just in tears! A new fridge is great but I still hope you and your family have an amazing Christmas and I KNOW you and Grant can make it so. I will be on the look-out for the sexy lamp and that'll be my contribution to your, already-to-be, amazing Christmas. Love ya!
Please do not be discourged because of the inabililty to tithe. It was only an OT law of food from inside Israel.
According to Galatians 3:10/Deu 27:26 the only way to be blessed by tithing was to keep all 613 comamndments.
Take care of your family essentials first in obedience to 1st Timothy 5:8. Then give to the best of you ability according to 2 Cor 8:12-15. God wil still bless your sacrificial giving.
Russell Earl Kelly, PHD
www.tithing-russkelly.com
Post a Comment