Where to begin? Yesterday was quite literally the day from hell. I had all SIX of my babysitting kids all day long. Kids were falling off of beds, fighting, getting splinters, running out in front of cars, squeezing the life out of my kittens, losing their shoes, and so on and so on. The chaos was ridiculous, and hopefully my parents (of my babysitting kids) don't have conflicting schedules like that EVER again!! Normally I only have about 3 at a time--I'm not THAT crazy!
Anyway, after all the kids had FINALLY gone home (around 5:30 pm) I sat down on my comfy couch to rest, thinking the day was over and I could lay in my bed to watch some tele with Granty when he got home.
Wrong.
Cameron came running into the house screaming that he had just been shot in the eye. Alarms in my head start going off and the conversation went like this:
Cam: "I've been shot in the eye and I'm BLIND!"
me: "Shot with what? What are you talking about?"
Cam: "I got shot with a BB gun!"
me: "Who's BB gun?"
Cam :"My friend! Oh mom it hurts so bad!"
Now, first of all, Granty and I DO NOT allow our kids to have BB guns or Airsoft guns for this very reason. Since we don't allow our kids to play with guns, they don't have protective eyeware. Hmmm...big mistake. Second, what IDIOT allows their children to play with guns...other than plastic toy ones. I realize it was an accident, but this will effect my son for the rest of his life!! That's a pretty hefty "accident". A pricy one, too.
After listening to him cry for about an hour, I decided this was serious and I'd better get his eye looked at. Instacare said take him to the ER. The ER said we needed to see an Optometrist asap. We ended up at the Provo Hospital Physicians Clinic. There we were told that Cameron has permanently...permanently...lost some of his vision in his right eye. He was shot right in the iris/pupil and it has caused irreparable damage.
At this point we play the waiting game. He has appts with the Optometrist over the next week to watch for cataracts and to see if his retena stays attached. Blindness hasn't been ruled out, either.
My heart just aches for my little boy. To think he may lose his vision all together, or at least have it seriously impared just makes me cry. My beautiful green-eyed boy now has a distorted eye. His iris is huge and doesn't respond to light, and the green color of his eye is a cloudy yellow. You never think something like this will happen to you, but apparantly it does.
I'll keep you posted.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh my gosh Kerri!! I'm so sorry that happened - I feel just awful. Poor Cameron! I bet that really hurts! Seriously, wow. Who would think??? Let me know if there's anything we can do okay?
Oh. My. !#$!$#^!#$^
Girl, if those parents don't cover your out of pocket expenses at the MINIMUM I'd take them to court. Crap like that makes me so mad!
The secretary at my pre-school lost the vision in one of her eyes when someone poked her with a pencil when she was younger. You just can't mess around with stuff like that.
Hugs to your sweet boy! I hope everything works out ok. Prayers coming your way....
I'm sooo sorry! That is horrible. If you need ANYTHING let me know! Give Cameron a huge hug from me!
Ummm...I just realized I'm logged in under Steve. I'm such an idiot. It's not from Steve obviously!!
Post a Comment