Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Twilight is Evil...EVIL!!

I'll keep this post short. The "Twilight" series of books was mentioned at church a few weeks ago. A preisthood leader told us that the books are evil and borderline pornographic. Ahem... What? My humble opinion is that this individual has NOT read the books and is simply going by what they have heard. Yes, I can see that a book about a vampire may appear evil, however this particular series is NOT. Why didn't he get up and single out the Anne Rice series? And while he's at it, why not blast the classic novel "Dracula" written by Brahm Stoker? Gimmie a break!

Honestly I wasn't really bothered by what he said, however I suppose it did offend me just a wee bit. Now, I'm not a perfect mother, but I certainly would NEVER let my child read something that I didn't feel was appropriate, and my 9 year old daughter has read "Twilight" multiple times. Hmmm...So what does that say about me? That I encourage my children to fill their minds with smut and filth? I don't think so!

I suppose we are all entitled to our own opinions, but I don't like someone else's poor judgement inflicted on me and guilting me into not reading a purely entertaining book. And YES!! I WILL take my daughter to the movie, so stick that in your juice box and suck it!

12 comments:

Mer said...

Oh bruther.

People don't realize that they shouldn't preach opinion from the pulpit. Boy...would I have LOVED to have been there! <.< *evil grin*

HeaddaMarie said...

You Rock! And I totally agree with you!! That is crap! I guess I am terrible too! Maybe that is why we get along so well! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Princess Jellyfish said...

has your 9 year old daughter read the sequels to Twilight? Breaking Dawn in particular, as that has a very graphic birth scene and rough sex.

Janie said...

I agree Breaking Dawn is a graphic in the birth and the sex.
And the books support abuse. Anyways. I'm glad your getting your child into reading at her age. Thats good :]

The Sutton Family said...

The ONLY book my daughter has read was Twilight. I won't let her read any of the others. I read Breaking Dawn and I didn't really like it. Besides, I said I let her read JUST Twilight. I'm not THAT dumb. I do have a little bit of sense when it comes to screening what my kids read and watch. *scoff* Twilight is fine. Geez.

And somebody tell me WHERE the book supports abuse? Am I smoking crack to have missed that or what?

Oh, and I already have tickets to take her to see Twilight for her birthday. Am I encouragine her to be abusive by taking her? Just checking.

Anonymous said...

No matter how soft the occultism is, it's still occultism. Have u ever noticed how everyone who reads these books gets freakishly addicted to them and reads them over and over and over. And how about how the author "received" the story in a dream, and after publishing them, Edward came to her in a dream. She called it terrifying and said he told her that he did drink human blood and could not live off of animal blood. Just a little weird to me. Anything where a human is willing to give her life to live among the undead, does not sound like something God has anything to do with. Maybe u should give your priest a second thought, I'm sure he knows a little something about God and how Satan creeps in when and where we least expect it. Btw, lucifer was an angel of light, right? Sounds familiar...

Anonymous said...

The twilight books may not be evil in what you are reading but there is a huge disadvantage for some people reading these books. For Christians who have played with dark arts before they were saved I would definitely encourage them to stay away from these books and the movie.

The real evil is forgetting that Satan is very real and demons do attempt to work their way into your thoughts. So your Priest was right on one account these books should definitely not be read by those who have been saved and rescued from the occult.

Also if you have that little trust in your priest perhaps you should find another church because it really is disheartening to see one of your own members speak so rudely behind your back.

Anonymous said...

i believe that twilight and its sequels are part of the enemy's works...read about the story of how the author came to writing the stories..and just the idea behind the stories... conspicuously, it's about love (cheese), but there's something more at work in it..something ungodly... perhaps it also depends on how the reader takes it, but judging by the feedbacks, most people, esp. teens are going gaga over it...they're getting addicted..we should always remember that satan tries to entice people with attractive things. basically, anything that is not attuned with the will and words of God is not good. God bless...:D i suggest that we should pray about matters like this and ask Him to give us wisdom in discerning right from wrong..:))

The Sutton Family said...

OMIGOSH! You annonymous people are hilarious! Talking about the occult and blah blah...it's a STORY for heaven's sake? A novel!! Women and girls aren't getting "addicted" to the book for crying out loud! It's a fad...no different than the craze for Elvis, or the Beatles...it's harmless!

Satan is certainly NOT trying to weasel his way into our hearts through a stinking book. What is this? Puritanism?

Oh, and just so you know, Edward came to ME in a dream, too. He said he wants to make me a vampire and I said "Okay!" Am I being enticed?

You guys are too funny!

Anonymous said...

Im a teenager who has read the first 2 books. I believe that these books could have the potential to lead you to something dark and dreary.
The reason why i say this is because a family member of mine was about to finish her last book. Before she could, her mother was attacked by an evil force. Therefore the mother told her to burn them. Since that nothing has encountered them again.
Yeah that was just one time and it could have happened for several different reasons. BUT this has happened to many people that have read these books. Im not saying your going to be attacked. I just believe that these books could possible be a danger to a person phych part of the brain.

Also, I forgot to mention this is a family of strong christians. So something like a demonic thing is very real. Its nothing to play around with.
Please take a chance and maybe listen to your pastor. Its sad to see someone disrespect him online to others. If you have a problem with what he said. Then you should have talked to him.

Anonymous said...

OMG!You people and this satanic stuff.My mom is a religious freak and she won't let me see them but she watched Twilight with us and I read the books.It's like every time someone comes out with something and it doesn't say something about God it is evil...seriously.So let me give an example....all of you who are fans of The Beatles and Elvis and Johnny Cash are satanic and basically they were evil because they didn't speak of God all the time!And in the Bible it says nothing unclean can enter Heaven so therefore you are basically saying their in Hell.And all this about "demon attacks" is bull because there is a million different things you can do to draw demons.I've watched the movie,read the books and I haven't had nothing out of the ordinary happen to me so just saying you need to use scripture to back yourselves up if your going to use Heavenly things.Not anything offensive but I'm sick of how Christians put everything down,meanwhile they're not living right themselves.Once again no offense just using some common sense and Biblical memory.