When we first moved to Eagle Mountain, our family became really close to another family in our area. Their youngest son and Tim were best friends for several years, and we felt like we knew their family pretty well.
To make a long story short, some things happened in their family and their older boy, Danny, needed a place to live. At the time, he was 17 and a senior in high school, so we welcomed him into our home AND into our family with open arms. Danny lived with us for about a year, and of course, it wasn't perfect, but we all loved him...very much.
A few months ago, Danny called and told me he was joining the army. I think he was afraid of my reaction, and I tried to be as positive as I could, but to be honest, it scared me to death! He knew I was afraid, but he was SO eager, and SO excited, it's been hard not to be excited for him, but as a mother, the fact he is in the army, tugs at my heart.
He left for Basic Training in October, and we have missed him so very much! He was able to come home for 2 weeks over the Christmas Holiday and it has been so great to see him! Although he technically isn't my child, I can't help but feel the pride the mother of a soldier feels.
I have never known a person in the armed forces. Both of my grandfathers served in WWII, but I've never known somebody actually IN the service. Does that make sense? Anyway, it brings a whole new sense of pride in the country...pride in our service men and women...pride in the youth of this nation.
Danny will be deployed to Afghanistan in April or May, and I am dreading that moment. He will be gone for 12 months and it will probably be the longest 12 months of my life...up until now. I pray that he will be watched over and protected. I am so afraid for my Danny Boy, but so proud of the man he is becoming. 
I love you My Army Brat!
No comments:
Post a Comment