
Okay, okay...I am about to admit one of my most embarassing secrets, but I LOVE the movie Xanadu. I mean love, Love, LOVE! I know it's cheesy, the whole story about a disco roller skating rink, an artist, a daughter of Zeus and catchy tunes, but it's one of my guilty pleasures!
I was at the DI (a local thrift store) the other day and I thought, eh, what the heck, I'm gonna look at the videos for sale. There, smiling back at me in all it's glory was XANADU! I nearly pee'd my pants with excitement!! I squealed at Taylor to come look and together we giggled with glee about the treasure I had found. My boys all rolled their eyes and gagged at the thought of having to listen to Oliva Newton-John singing her guts out. Heh! I think secretly they like it, they just don't want to admit it.
So of course, the minute I got home, I popped it into the VCR. It's just as great today as it was "back in the day". I had so much fun watching it with Taylor and singing all the songs. She and I especially like the "crossover" song. Anyone who is an honest-to-goodness Xanadu fan knows what I'm talking about. She likes to sing the old 40's part, while I belt out the rock-n-roll part. It's so great! I love watching Xanadu. Memories of my childhood come flooding back...
My friend Jen had a player piano. You know, the kind that played music from a scroll? Anyway, the piano had the theme song from Xanadu and we used to listen to it over and over. We'd watch the movie, listen to the song, watch the movie again. I guess we were just a bit obessesed! I keep remembering fun times with that group of friends...Jen & Jen, Danielle, Heather and me. We had an awesome time together. Sleepovers on my back deck, gambling with cinnamon bears, playing with our Cabbage Patch Kids, taking dance lessons, playing Atari games at Danielle's, spending all day in Heather's hot tub, toilet papering our friend's houses, and playing neighborhood games in the dark. They were wonderful friends and I miss those times we had. I sometimes wonder how they all are and where life has taken them.
I hope they all have a piece of Xanadu in their hearts, too.
1 comment:
OH MY GOSH! I LOVE Xanadu too! My sisters and I watch it ALL THE TIME! .......and sing the music! I'm so glad there's another fan close to me. And truly, we cool people will admit it to anyone without any shame. My favorite part, Gene Kelley skatin' around in his tux while the little skits go on in the skating rink, at the end. Nothing tops it! ha ha ha You have to volunteer to do a Girls Night at your house and screen Xanadu!
Post a Comment