Friday, May 29, 2009

Mother's Day

Mother's Day has never really been my favorite day. For the longest time it was because I wasn't a mother. Now I AM a mother, but I still don't really like it. Talk about ungrateful!!

This year was different, however. One little person made it an extra special day.

The week before Mother's Day, I found Taylor at our neighbors house quite often pulling weeds. She told me she was earning some money to buy me a Mother's Day present, but I didn't realize just how MUCH money she was earning. I was shocked the morning of Mother's Day to receive not only a bouquet of my favorite flowers, but a bag of my favorite chocolates AND a bracelet!! Tim had helped her buy her presents and hid them until Sunday.

When Mother's Day arrived, I grumbled to Grant how I wished it wasn't Mother's Day and how I hate it. Taylor stood in my doorway, plate in hand, with toast and juice for her ungrateful mom and asked, "You don't like Mother's Day? But I made you breakfast and got you presents!"

One look into her eyes, brimming with tears, and I knew how wrong I'd been. I needed to let my children, my daughter especially, show their affection to me in their own way. How selfish I had been in taking it away from them! Quickly I changed my attitude and ate my burned toast, drank my sour juice and accepted hugs and kisses from my sweet 10 yr old girl.

I'm grateful to be a mom to Tim, Kaleb, Cameron and Taylor--the 4 best kids any mom could ask for. I have been so foolish to not cherish Mother's Day and the opportunity I have to reflect on the reason I CAN celebrate such a wonderful day! I'll never grumble about Mother's Day again. Being a mother is a blessing and I am, REALLY am grateful!

No comments: