Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"The heat is on in Saigon!!"

I have been a huge, HUGE fan of the theatre for a very long time! Probably since I was a little girl. My mom always liked watching old classic musicals like "The Music Man", "Carousel", "7 Brides for 7 Brothers", "Oklahoma"...the list goes on and on. She instilled in me a deep love for music, and because of that, I developed a great love for singing and acting.

I have been in many theatrical productions, mostly when I was in high school and college, and I miss being in the spotlight all the time. However, the reality of my life is I'm a mom and a wife, so there just isn't time for that kind of stuff anymore. But I love watching stage productions just as much as I like being in them.

When I graduated from high school, my parents bought me a 2 week trip to New York. While on that trip to NY, I saw 6 broadway productions. I saw "Phantom", "Les Miz", "CATS", and 3 others. I was thrilled, but the one other production I always wished I could have seen was "Miss Saigon". It's musical score is breathtaking and the story tragic. It's much like the Opera "Madame Butterfly".

For my birthday, my mom thought she'd be clever and had me play "Let's Make a Deal". Each package I opened held a picture of some grandios gift like a cruise, a cricut cutter (scrapbooking lovers COVET those!), and my long lusted after Mische Bag. Of course, in all reality those items were not available to me...what a horrible prank!! Granty and I really thought I was getting a cruise!!!! Ha! Box #4 however, held what I have wanted for over 20 years now...tickets to see "Miss Saigon" in May.

Words cannot express how excited I am to see this remarkable show! Thanks mom, dad & Aunt Shelly for such a great birthday gift! Turning 38 wasn't half bad! Now maybe if they could make good on the "cruise" for my 40th birthday. THAT wouldn't be half bad either!!

3 comments:

Farr Family said...

Wow! What a cool Mom you have! I'm jealous! You're a brat--but I love you more than my luggage!

Melanie said...

That is awesome! What a nice present.

The Brugger Bunch said...

OH MY HEAVENS, how AMAZING! I am so excited for you my friend, what an amazing gift! What a cool and super creative mama you have! I am with you sister, I cannot ever get enough of those shows. Eric and I would be living in NY right now if we could! Love you!