Thursday, April 29, 2010

NO.MORE.DRAMA...part 2

My story must be rivitting, because you are back! That or you have nothing better to do. How rude! Anway...

Things at our house were somewhat tense. Tim spent most of his time in the basement, away from the rest of the family. He isolated himself. He would sulk during FHE, pout during dinner, antagonize his siblings, and glare at me & Granty. Typical teenager I suppose.

We didn't talk about his gf. Any time we did, an argument would break out. Feelings would get hurt and nothing would get resolved. One evening, Tim came in and asked me some questions that were health related. I asked if something was wrong and he said that no, these were questions for his gf. He said to me, "I know you probably don't care, but she has a lump in her throat and I'm worried." My response was, "You are right, I don't really care. I care that you as my son are worried about her, and I certainly don't wish her any ill will, but I am not worried about her. I'm not going to lie."

What happened next really shouldn't surprise me, but somehow it did. Tim started pushing and pushing and pushing me into an argument. I kept telling him that I didn't want to get into this, but he kept pushing. He told me how pathetic I was that I didn't care about his gf. I asked him why should I care about someone who has brought our family nothing but trouble? He said that I used to be the kind of mom he could talk to. He said I used to be the kind of mom who was supportive. He said I used to be the kind of mom who was understanding. Words started flying...feelings started getting hurt. I got sick of the discussion and as I turned to walk away I said, "That's right. Since you met HER, I've become the non-supportive, non-understanding, non-listening mom. I'm just a big old bitch!" I could hear him puff up his chest as he yelled "F_ _ _ YOU!"

I was stunned. My son had never talked to me like THAT before, and I'm afraid I lost all compassion. I turned back to him and said, "That is IT. You will not go to her house again, she will not come here, you will not call her. Period." We didn't speak to each other for about a week. It was torture. I wanted to grab him in my arms and say how sorry I was and that I forgave him, but I couldn't. This wasn't something that was just going to go away without some consquences. We had to find a solution. But we didn't.

After about a week of him ignoring all of us, things came right again. He started asking if he could go hang out with his friends. He wanted to go the skate park. Granty and I were thrilled to see that he wanted to do OTHER things than be with her. We wanted him to be a normal teenager and do normal teenager things. It felt like that was happening. I trusted him completely, however Granty did not. Granty kept saying, are you sure he is where he says he is, and I would say, of course he is! Have some faith in your son!

How wrong I was. Again.

More to come...

No comments: