Monday, June 1, 2009

Our Little Guy

Today was our long awaited appointment with Kaleb's NEW endocrinologist. I was getting rather frustrated with our old one, so I took it upon my little self to find a new one. Today we finally saw her and I'm grateful that we found her!

At the appt, they took some blood, did an x-ray of his hand and a complete physical. Kaleb didn't really like that part (he wanted to know WHY it was SO important they know about his privates and how far along he is in puberty!) The Dr said that she is fairly confident that Kaleb is growing and it's not a lack of growth hormone that is keeping him small. She said most likely it is that he is just delayed in his growth, and there is medication to help speed that up.

So, for now, we know he is growing slow. He is a full foot shorter than he should be and nearly 30 lbs less than an average 12 yr old. Now, this part made me giggle...the Dr said that Kaleb is burning calories faster than he can use them, so we are supposed to start him on a HIGH CALORIE diet. Excuse me? Here I am trying to CUT calories, and I'm supposed to start shoving calories into Kaleb? I thought that was kinda funny!

He'll probably start on some medication soon, but until then, he remains our little guy. We'll see how long that lasts. Hopefully not too much longer!!

2 comments:

Armstrong Family said...

Glad to hear his endocrinologist is so optimistic! I hope that gave you some relief. Now, go grill him a juicy hamburger and fit it between to giant glazed donuts--with extra cheese! Mmmmmmmmmm! Too funny!

The Brugger Bunch said...

Oh the injustice! It is my lifelong goal to have a Doctor tell me that I need to "EAT MORE"! Oh all the yummy foods going thru my mind, lol! I think that little man is perfect and such a doll!