Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Keep on Trekkin'!

I sure suck at blogging lately. Anyway...

Our Stake is going on the Pioneer Trek this summer and I am SO JEALOUS! The church didn't start doing trek until after I was married, and I've always wanted to go. When we found out that Tim was going on trek this year, we decided to help him get ready as a family. He didn't seem very excited to be hiking out in the heat, so I knew we had to get him excited and change his point of view.

Since May, we have spent one night each week reading pioneer stories. The youth are encouraged to find a pioneer name and "trek for them". I've been asking Tim almost daily, "Did you decide who you are trekking for?" and always the answer was no.

Last Saturday, the Stake had a truly awesome activity. The set up a mock Iowa City for the youth to learn pioneer activities, have pioneer food, etc. When I dropped Tim off at the activity, I had this overwhelming feeling of reverence. "Iowa City" was filled with youth and leaders all dressed as pioneers. It was amazing! I almost felt like I had a tiny glimpse of what things were like before they headed out to come west. I heard music, laughter, and felt the excited energy of everyone there.

Tim came home really excited about trek and said, "Mom, I've got my name." He chose the name Robert Loader, who was 10 years old when he came west. I immediately started researching him online, but I found very little about him. Some information said he died on the plains, some said he lived. So I pressed on.

I came across information his sister wrote. Her name was Patience Loader, and she is actually quite well known. She had written a very long and detailed story of her families experience coming to Utah, so I decided we would learn from what she wrote. However, that wasn't enough. Did he live, or didn't he? And if he lived, where did he end up?

My last effort on finding information proved successful. There was an article submitted to the Pleasant Grove Cemetary from Robert Loader's GREAT GRANDSON. He had lived! He had a family! He was buried in Utah...only 20 minutes away from us!

So....

On Monday, for FHE, we went to find where Robert Loader was buried. On our way to the cemetary, I read some of Patience Loader's journal entry. I read of how they suffered, of how they were hungry, of how they pulled their dying father in handcart, of how they ate soup made from sagebrush, of how their tent was so frozen they couldn't put it up, of how they crossed the Sweetwater River and almost got swept away due to the current, of how their sister gave birth to a baby boy on the trail, of how they were certain Heavenly Father was aware of them and was blessing them. The kids were silent as they listened.


We were all eager to find where Robert was buried. We searched for quite a while and were starting to get discouraged, when Granty found his headstone. We were pleased to see that he was buried next to his wife, Eliza Driggs and two of his sons, James & Monroe. I wanted to see if by chance any other members of his family were buried there as well, and when I checked the register, I found his mother's name. When we found her plot, we were amazed to see that Amy Loader (his mother) was there, along with a memorial for his father, James Loader. Next to them was buried his older brother John and his wife as well as his sister Annie.

We stood for a while contemplating who these people were, and when I looked back for Tim, I saw he was still at Robert Loader's grave. He later told me that he was having a conversation with Robert, letting him know we was trekking for him. Tim said it was just like talking to a friend. I believe Robert Loader and Tim WILL be great friends one day.

I have such a deep, deep love for the pioneers. I always have. If there is any group of people who are an example to me of pure, perfect faith, it is the pioneers. I am so grateful to them. Grateful for their courage, their endurance, their love of God and their determination to never, never give up. But most of all I am grateful for their example.

"Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
'Tis not so; all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward
If we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take.
Our God will never us forsake;
And soon we'll have this tale to tell —All is well! All is well!"

3 comments:

Tami's Eclectic Corner said...

LOVE this post! I can't wait to hear how trek was! I hope he has a blast.

HeaddaMarie said...

That is awesome Kerri! I think there is a road in PG with the name Loader in it...I bet it's named after his family.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post! I love you and look up to you so much! You have such a wonderful family and I wish you all the best! p.s. I was always the girl that loved trek and girls camp. I owe it to my mom. Maybe the same reason you love it too? :)